Similar to day four of my juice fast, on my fifth and final day I felt really fantastic! I planned to go a full 8-10 days on my fast. So, why did I stop at five? Honestly…just gave into old habits. I using Odwalla and Naked juice for my juice fast and had ran out by the end of the day. I called Troy to ask him to grab some on his way home, but he wasn’t getting home until late so the hunger pains set in.
While waiting for him to get home I had a green salad with a bit of vinaigrette and then called him to let him know I had broken my fast and to grab Subway for dinner. That night I ate a foot long sandwich with healthy-ish toppings.
Overall, I felt okay for breaking my fast, but when I woke up that morning I immediately regretted it. I hadn’t prepared myself for what to do after a juice fast. I also didn’t prepare myself mentally for after my fast. So, I really set myself up for disappointment. By the end of the first full day after my fast I felt the sluggishness coming over me. I started feeling the blues coming back that I talked about in my post about diet as a cure for depression. That glow was quickly leaving my face. In hind site, I should have gone a full 8-10 days and followed up my juice fast with a primarily raw foods diet.
So, what is my takeaway from my juice fast? Will I be doing it again? Here are a few highlights about my experience and what I learned:
- I feel as though I got the same results using store bought organic juices such as Odwalla and Naked as I would have if I juiced myself.
- The second day of the juice fast was by far the most difficult on a mental level.
- Day one was the only day that I felt negative physical effects of the fast – headaches, shakey, hunger. I believe most of those symptoms were due a detox since they went away after the first 24 hours.
- Day 3 was the day that I felt amazing. I woke up really early without the morning fog that I’ve had most of my adult life.
- YES, MOST DEFINITELY I will be doing it again! Really soon, in fact!
If you have any questions about my experience, please feel free to ask in the comments! I love talking to people about it! And if you need to catch up on the rest of my juice fast testimonial check out the posts below: